Montepuez Ruby Mine

About MRM

The existence of rubies in Montepuez, in northeast Mozambique, became widely known in 2009.

Today, the Montepuez ruby mine in Cabo Delgado province covers 33,600 hectares of one of the most significant ruby deposits in the world. Gemfields owns 75% of Montepuez Ruby Mining Limitada (“MRM”). The remaining 25% is owned by Mwiriti Limitada, a local Mozambican company.

Since operations began in 2012, Gemfields has established world-leading facilities and transformed the communities that surround it. MRM provides employment (both direct and via contractors) to 1,400 people, 95% of whom are Mozambican nationals.


Ruby Mining at Montepuez

How Rubies are Formed

Northeastern Mozambique is at a unique, geologically critical junction between two treasure-bearing belts of rock, formed between 500 and 800 million years ago.

The highlands of northern Mozambique are dominated by a Precambrian basement section of the well-known Mozambique Belt that extends up north to the Mediterranean. In its basement, large regions were metamorphosed at a high temperature and high pressure during the Pan-African tectonic event, creating suitable conditions for the formation of gemstones. Deposits of the Pan-African Orogeny are much older than the Himalayan range gem deposits (e.g. Myanmar rubies) that are only 40-million-years old.